A bookcase for your home: here are some tips on how to choose it and where to place it
Among the pieces of furniture that should definitely not be missing from the most sophisticated homes is the bookcase, perfect not only for neatly displaying your favorite books, but also for placing objects and ornaments of all kinds.
Available in many styles, sizes and colors, bookcases can be placed in numerous rooms of the home, from the bedroom to the living room and – why not? – even in the bathroom or kitchen!
To achieve the best possible effect, you need to choose it carefully in line with the style of the rest of the furniture and the size of the room.
In this article, we will find out what are the main types of bookcases, how to choose the one that best suits your functional and aesthetic needs, and where to place it.
Different kinds of bookcases
To choose the right bookcase, it is necessary, first of all, to know what types are on the market. At furniture stores and on specialized e-commerce platforms, you can find many models of modern and traditional bookcases perfect to complement and enrich certain environments.
The main types of bookcases include
- wall-mounted: this type of bookcase should be placed against the chosen wall and, in some cases, occupies the entire wall. It is the perfect model for those who want to highlight a specific wall in the room, enriching it with lots of books or using it as a space to display collections, souvenirs, original objects, etc. In terms of style, it is ideal for classic and traditional environments, but there are also models with modern lines and bright colors, perfect for completing spaces in industrial, contemporary and even minimal styles;
- hanging: hanging bookcases can be placed at different heights from the floor. Characterized by modern and sometimes innovative shapes, they are perfect for contemporary, industrial and minimalist environments;
- corner: corner bookcases are the ideal choice for those who do not want to miss the opportunity to make the most of every space in the room. This feature makes them ideal even for smaller rooms;
- room divider: room divider bookcases are the number one choice for those living in an open-plan space or wanting separate areas in a single room, dividing, for example, cooking area and dining area. Being characterized by a solid structure and a stable support base, they are not likely to fall;
- modular: those who want to customize their bookcase to the fullest can opt for modular solutions, which offer maximum freedom in terms of number of shelves, form, size, colors and structure;
- designer: this type of bookcase is characterized by unique styles, perfect for those who want to furnish their homes in a modern style, choosing furniture and accessories with unusual shapes;
- low: those who want not only a bookcase, but also a support surface on which to place lamps, figurines or candelabra, or to be used as a nightstand or coffee table, can opt for low bookcases.
In addition to these types, we can mention bookcases equipped with display cases and elegant wall paneling.
Where to place the bookcase
The bookcase is a piece of furniture that fits perfectly in any room of the house. When choosing the ideal place, you should take into account both the functional and aesthetic aspects.
Depending on the cases, needs and the effect you want to achieve in a particular room, you can place it in the living room, dining room, bedroom, office, bathroom or kitchen.
The living room is the room in which guests are usually received; for this reason, it is necessary to carefully choose every detail.
The bookcase should harmonize with the rest of the furniture, recalling its style and colors, and should be chosen depending the size of the room. Those who are lucky enough to have a large living room can opt for a wall unit, even a large one, or for wall paneling, while, if the living room is small in size, it is better to go for corner or hanging bookcases.
The dining room is also a perfect place for a large bookcase in a minimal style that takes up an entire wall.
The bedroom bookcase should be small in size. Moreover, if it is placed in the children’s room, it should be in bright colors.
The best bookcases in this case include corner, modular and wall-mounted models, while, if you want to separate the sleeping area from the study area, green light to room divider models.
If you have a home office, you can complete its decor by opting for a basic and functional wall bookcase made of metal or wood.
Bathroom and kitchen
The bathroom and kitchen can also be embellished with small bookcases. In the first case, shelves and hanging bookcases are the best options, while, in the second, you can choose low bookcases to take advantage of the top.