Discover the winners of the Design Educates Awards, the international contest for design projects with an educational, social and environmental value
Organized by Laka Foundation, the Design Educates Awards have announced the winners of the 2022 edition. The Design Educates Awards recognize the best design projects that, in addition to beauty and functionality, have intrinsic educational value and answer to the emerging questions of our century.
The winning projects in the categories of Architectural Design, Product Design, Responsive Design and Universal Design range from innovative installations solving different environmental and social problems, to innovative handcrafted products that improve people’s daily lives and quality of life.
The jury of the Design Educates Awards 2022
The jury of the Design Educates Awards 2022 included designers, architects and experts of world renown such as Toyo Itō, Jette Cathrin Hopp, Winy Maas, Jakob Lange, Claudia Pasquero, Mark L. Gardner, Maria Aiolova, Alan Pert, David Basulto, Doris Kim Sung, Peter Kuczia, Aidin Ardjomandi. They examined 400 projects from 30 countries and selected 43 winners. Entries were evaluated based on the following criteria: overall idea, the potential for educational influence, effectiveness and quality of the information, aesthetics, quality of presentation, visionary approach, originality, feasibility, and comprehensiveness.
What is the design that educates?
Design that educates is design that responds effectively to social and environmental problems of various kinds. The Design Educates Awards reward projects that can change the way people live and that, in the long term, can influence the future and the well-being of the planet. Therefore, the value of educational design is not only in the object, but in the impact it can have on people’s consciences and on social and environmental issues.
Some winning projects
- Winner of the year in Architectural Design- Timber Bridge in Gulou Waterfront – LUO studio
- Gold Prize in Architectural Design – Terra Cotta studio – Tropical Space
- Silver Prize in Architectural Design – Wiki World Natural Camp – Wiki World
- Bronze Prize in Architectural Design – House of Dreams – Insitu Project
- Winner of the year in Product Design – Deployable Emergency Shelter – Henry Glogau Studio
- Gold Prize in Product Design – Looop – Cheuk Laam Wong, Central Saint Martins
- Silver Prize in Product Design – SeeTang Collection – Jana-Aimée Wiesenberger
- Bronze Prize in Product Design – Canairi – Canairi
- Winner of the year in Responsive Design – Solar Desalination Skylight – Henry Glogau Studio
- Gold Prize in Responsive Design – Portable Solar Distiller – Henry Glogau Studio
- Silver Prize in Responsive Design – Coastalock – ECOncrete Tech Ltd
- Bronze Prize in Responsive Design – 1,300 Recycling Pavilion – Hyunjejoo_Baukunst
- Winner of the year in Universal Design – BetaPort – Circular Building Technology On-Demand – Urban Beta UG
- Gold Prize in Universal Design – Coastalock – ECOncrete Tech Ltd
- Silver Prize in Universal Design – The Inxect Suit – Pavels Liepins-Hedström
- Bronze Prize in Universal Design – Voxel Cloud – Julian Edelmann
Click here to participate in the Design Educates Awards 2023